Loading ...

Black History Month

As we continue to go through the month of October (the weather is starting to get colder I feel) we continue to raise awareness of Black History Month with our children. In assembly this afternoon, I shared with all pupils the video of Benjamin Zephaniah’s poem ‘What do people need?’. If you have never heard of it or want a reminder of his amazing words they can be found in this video. Zephaniah is a British novelist, writer, musician and actor who, when he was at school, couldn't read or write. This was because he is dyslexic. It was only through the encouragement of another teacher (when he was taking adult education classes) that he was able to deal with this previously perceived ‘barrier’ and then became one of the most celebrated and children’s favourite poets of a generation. The poem talks about how people need each other in this world and as such we should encourage one another to be kind to each other. This ties in beautifully with our focus for the week on our Magnificent Seven (Encourage someone else)

It was lovely to see all the children looking so smart for their school photographs this morning. This is one of those momentous times in the academic year and as parents you will probably have got last year or the year before’s photo. I have my daughters’ photos on the windowsill at home from when they were in primary school, and I can’t wait to remind them of how they looked at an appropriate moment later in their lives. Time flies by fast so do make sure you take advantage this year.

We are still remaining vigilant about COVID-19. Despite the increased number of people getting vaccinated some unfortunate doubly vaccinated adults are getting the virus and children still could be spreading it and also fall victim to it. I urge you all to remain vigilant. Please inform the school if your child has symptoms, has tested positive on a lateral flow or PCR. If we all continue to remain responsible we can all continue to live normal lives without being affected by this debilitating virus.

Eat Your Words
by Benjamin Zephaniah

I am a veggie table
A table made of veg,
There’s so much fruit upon me
All living on the edge,
Life is hard
But so are plates
And tea can be quite hot,
And vegetarian poets
Make me nervous quite a lot